Call For Proposals
SRJC Petaluma Outdoor Mural Project
This outdoor mural will provide a visual representation of the dynamic and inclusive culture of Our House, the Intercultural Center at SRJC Petaluma. Located in the heart of Petaluma Campus, Our House is both a physical gathering space and a program designed to support students experiencing unjust barriers to college attainment. In theme and composition, the mural will reflect Our House’s vibrant student life and serve as a visual anchor to attract and welcome students and community members into the unique space.
Scope of Work
The mural will cover a significant area of a stucco exterior wall on John M. Jacobs Hall where the entrance to Our House is located (pictured below). The dimensions of this two-story area are approximately 30 feet in width by 30 feet in height. The stucco wall’s surface is multidimensional, with a bump-out bay of windows extending from the second floor of Jacobs Hall. The expectation is that this multidimensionality could be incorporated into the mural design, with imagery extending around first- and second-floor windows.
Applicants are required to complete the online proposal form by Sunday October 3 which includes a 200-word minimum narrative statement that addresses the Selection Criteria enumerated below. This proposal should include the following:
1) artist/artist-team bio(s);
2) a quote of the payment you would charge to complete the mural, inclusive of materials;
3) a link to an online artist portfolio that includes high-quality/high-resolution images. (A link to an artist webpage or a Google Docs folder will suffice.)
• Established record of producing durable outdoor mural art, demonstrated through an artist portfolio that includes multiple photographs of mural-art projects.
• Portfolio shows evidence of thematic subject matter that reflects the diversity—culturally, ethnically, or otherwise—of Our House students.
• Artist bio(s) reflect unique identities and experiences that resonate with the student culture of Our House.
• Evidence of a community-oriented approach to artmaking and an expressed willingness to include SRJC students in initial brainstorming of mural concept and design themes.
• Preference will be given to local artists residing in Sonoma County.
Timeline (Fall 2021)
|September 13-October 3||Application opens|
|October 4-October 8||Review of applications by SRJC Our House Mural Committee|
|October 11-October 15||Finalist artist(s) are contacted and interviewed|
|October 18||Applicants are notified of the results of the application process|
|October 19-November 14||Design development period, which includes 1-3 meetings with students to brainstorm mural concept and design themes|
|November 15||Design submitted to Our House Mural Committee for approval|
|November 15-November 19||Our House Mural Committee meets with the artist(s) to confirm the design plan|
|November 22-December 17||Mural painting occurs on days when weather, air quality, and district staffing permitting|
Proposals will be reviewed and selected by a committee comprised of an elected member of SRJC Student Government, the Our House program coordinator, and an additional member of the SRJC Petaluma leadership team.